Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Beets, It's What's for Dinner




Nope that is not beef, it is beets. When I was younger, I thought only old people liked beets. Now I love them. Hmm, wonder what happened to me.

I'm on a root vegetable kick right now. Although the weather has been gorgeous, we have had some rainy days and the days are getting shorter. To me that means a menu change, big time. Out with the summer stuff that goes bad when you turn your back. And in with the hearty stuff that stays good for days and days, if not weeks.


My latest greatest, Beet and Potato Salad. I throw the unpeeled beets and potatoes in a pot and boil them. Then I peel both when cooled, cube them and mix with salt, pepper and hummus. YUM, except I pee red the next day, which can be a bit daunting.

This was the inside of the mystery compost pile squash. I cut it up, seeded it and baked it. I pureed it with whatever was the white liquid of the day in the fridge (Rice Dream, Soy Milk, I forget) and some veggie stock and salt and pepper.

Mystery Squash Soup was the yummiest stuff ever. We have another one I just picked, and we're saving the seeds for next year.

I think I need a bigger soup pot. This was Clean Out the Fridge Soup, onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, beet tops with veggie broth and water. I don't use olive oil to saute with anymore, just broth. And then of course I added salt and pepper and some dill. Don't worry Mom, we are getting enough protein, we just finished a huge pot of beans.

Rootin' Tootin' Root Veggie Roast, with carrots, cauliflower, parsnips and yams from the Croatian store plus...

...baby eggplant from the same store! It was so cute, I couldn't resist. All the stuff at that place is so cheap, I try not to laugh when they ring it up. I try not to laugh at all in that store, I don't want them to yell at me.

Mushrooms growing in our yard after one day of steady rain. Don't worry Mom, I'm not going to cook them.

One of the last hangers on from the summer garden. We had lousy tomatoes, but the spreading plants went to town. We got so much FOOD from them. I used to plant a few veggies for the enjoyment, this year was all about the food. The compost Ernst put down in this part of the yard was a miracle, the plants went crazy and gave us so much output.

Squash on steroids, the brick raised bed is where the garden is supposed to stop.


This is what I picked just today. We didn't plant most of this squash, but we're not complaining, There are three more round food-like things out there, and then that will put the Summer Garden of 2011 to rest.


this had bite marks, another mystery


these tomatoes have crop circles, the plot thickens


From time to time I make dog food with the veggie scraps. Our neighbor gave us some "iffy meat" so Molly will get some homemade pup chow. A house guest who shall remain nameless once accidentally ate some of this concoction. S/he thought, Wow Jessica is a really lousy cook and Ernst sure isn't picky!

The sewer guy just told me there's a dead squirrel in our backyard. Don't worry Mom, I won't cook it!



Posted by Picasa