Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Knitting my brow while crocheting a hat

My sister Janice taught me how to crochet when I was young, and it has served me well through the years. I've made lots of blankets and throws, pot holders and cotton dishrags. I've learned through those projects that I have a rather loose crochet style. That means size is unpredictable. If I want to make a gift, I buy the yarn, read the pattern, throw the pattern to the side and do my own thing and see how big or small it turns out. The gift tag often reads:

Here is your potholder/baby blankie/couch throw/California King bedspread. 
Watch out - it may shrink/stretch.

I'm really good at square shaped projects, not very good at things that must fit on a human body. I've tried various times to make matching baby booties to go with a baby blanket, but have always ripped them out when they were getting too big for even an NBA player. 


Sock Monkey yarn - ready to roll

Why I got it into my head to make a sock monkey hat is beyond me. I didn't even know they existed until I saw one for sale on Etsy. Instead of just buying one, I figured it couldn't be that hard to make. Crocheting isn't at all scary like knitting is - with all that poking action and the threat of everything falling off the needles. The worst that can happen with crocheting is that my blunt tipped hook falls off. Big deal, I just stick it back where it belongs and keep crocheting the car cover/circus tent/tea trivet.



Molly proving that dogs can be embarrassed.
 My first attempt at crocheting a sock monkey hat was overwhelmingly successful - for a Neanderthal. I ripped it out, started with a smaller sized hook and re-read the directions. If it turns out, I have a cute new hat to wear for RBC kitchen work. If not, we have ourselves a sock monkey pool cover.