Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A salad recipe the wind blew in

Salads are great, salads are healthy, salads are easy. But how could I make a salad when I had no lettuce. Or vegetables. Or anything that was ever alive in any way in my veggie bins?

The day did not unfold as planned. It was windy, a north wind. My least favorite weather event from my least favorite direction. A north wind in the Sacramento Valley is never good. Molly and I were in the house after a morning out, and we heard a big crash against the house. To me it sounded like someone kicked our metal screen door. Nope, no bad guys at the front door. The action was all at the back of the house.

Hang gliding, anyone?


We had done the concrete pour last weekend, which meant moving our trailer, which meant moving our trailer cover, which meant it wasn't tied down, which meant it took off like a sail and slammed into the house, which meant our poor little pathetic Charlie Brown camellia bush is that much uglier looking. But the camellia bush saved the bathroom window from breaking, thank you so much poor pathetic little bush. And to think I was about to rip you out only last week.








Now that we had a teetering contraption with protruding objects flopping up against the house, my trip to the store to buy some fresh produce was cancelled. I was not about to leave the dog out in the yard while the Tarp of Destruction was still loose and the wind was still howling.

But I still really wanted to make a salad. So I Googled "What to make with surplus oranges." This is what I came up with, and it was really good. It came from The Food Charlatan who I also credit with the lovely photo. Mine tasted really delicious, but did not look quite as gorgeous. Imagine what I could make if it snowed.

Orange Olive Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

3 Tbs olive oil (I omitted this)
3 Tbs orange juice ( I added more)
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced (I used Trader Joe's jarred garlic)
salt and pepper
dash crushed red pepper
Mix together

4 large oranges (I used about 6) peeled and sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 large can black olives, halved
chives, chopped as garnish (I omitted due to flying circus tents in the yard)

Do what you do to make a salad, then toss with the vinaigrette to your liking. Try this, it sounds weird but it was super yummy!

The Food Charlatan's Orange Salad