Monday, August 31, 2015

Eight Benefits to a Summer Cold

Winter is the time for colds and colds should come in winter. It's that simple. They aren't any more pleasant or convenient then, but if you're going to be miserable you should be able to be so covered in thick blankets and fuzzy slippers. It's just like that famous song, how does it go...

The weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Blow your nose!
Blow your nose!
Blow your nose!

It looked like I beat my Chicago cold, but it came back with a vengeance. When I was in my "I think I'm much better" phase, we had company, we did some yard work and cleaned out the garden shed, I went back to work, made a quilt, shopped, showered, dressed up like a lady - all that good stuff. But then I started feeling like there was an elephant sitting on my chest. OK, that's an exaggeration, more like a thousand little tiny elephants inside my chest. Stampeding. I got a little nervous, because, um, we've already had one heart emergency in this family this month.

My doctor knew I felt really sick when she saw me, because she said "Wow, you must be really sick, I never see you." She ran all the usual tests, and the official diagnosis is Yucksville, otherwise known as bronchitis. Her advice is rest and plenty of fluids. Those silly doctors, don't they know how hard that is? But I'm listening, and trying to find the positives to being sick when you're sick of being sick and it doesn't have the decency to be wintertime.

  1. Laundry consists of underwear, tank tops and pajama bottoms,
  2. Dishwasher loads consist of soup spoons, soup bowls and tea cups.
  3. You go through all the weird left-over herb teas in your cupboard.
  4. You finish off that gnarly piece of ginger in your fridge.
  5. You can reinvent your Fall wardrobe by watching the last six seasons of What Not To Wear on YouTube.
  6. Beer is considered a fluid.
  7. Coughing is the new running.
  8. You have an excuse to stop KonMaring your house for a while.
We plan on having a garage sale next weekend, a dear friend is getting married Sunday and I have to work Labor Day. So, it's rest, rest and more rest this week - doctor's orders.