Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fred, the Farm to Fork to Fluff Quilt

What in tar-nation is going on? There are cattle drives near the Capitol, pig cookouts at Raley Field, and a big ol' dinner planned that will close Tower Bridge and span a fancy feast down its center. It's Farm to Fork time here in Sacramento, and although it's not super vegan friendly, anytime you close a bridge to set up elegant place settings, well that's pretty cool.

For those not able to attend all the festivities, or for others like me who had less than success with their veggie gardens this year, I present Fred.



Fred is a quilt that is whole hog and entire cow, but doesn't leave out the vegetables. Fred has cherries, corn, cabbages, carrots, radishes, tomatoes and watermelons. There are even some ladybugs to keep the pests away. Added to all that produce is some cute black and white checks, a bit of bandanna fabric and pretty blue denim from a gently used skirt I got free from a garage sale.

I made this one in the puffed rag quilt style, although I swore last time I wouldn't do another big one like this again. It was like roping a calf trying to get the last few rows through the sewing machine. But I man-handled it all into submission and it came out super fluffy and ready to make hay while the sun shines.



Fred prefers seeds in his watermelon.
He's a bit corny, but Fred means well.