Friday, January 31, 2014

Animal hats ahead

Why do some women look so cute in a ball cap? You know the ones. They throw on a pair of jeans, a semi-nice looking top and then pull their thick shiny hair through the back part of a baseball cap and end up looking adorable. Life should be so easy.

Ball caps do nothing for me. First, never put a lid on a short person, it just makes us shorter. Second, my hair does not look good coming out of the back part, it sticks out like a rooster tail, and not in a good way. Lastly, I look like a criminal. Even my usually complimentary husband agrees - wearing a ball cap makes me look like I'm "on the lam" as he puts it so kindly.

Finally, I have discovered my preferred look in hats. They have to have a bit of volume on top to add some much desired height. They must have personality. Ears help. Yes, I have discovered the joy of wearing animal hats. Not hats from animal fur, that would be gross, we are talking real live fake animals here. It started with a bear hat Ernst bought me at Comic Con, which I brought to China. It was my only hat, so it was that or nothing. Then I added a panda hat to my sparse selection, another gift from Ernst. (He really doesn't want to be seen with me in any fugitive ball caps.) Now after discovering the adorable hats on Repeat Crafter Me, I'm on an all-out hat crocheting binge. The idea being, if I don't look good in a hat, make the thing so distracting that nobody notices. If I make any more, I may need to have my head examined.

First there was the bear hat...

...a gift from this serious fellow...

...it kept me warm at 5 am on Tai Shan...

...well sort of...

...because we were too cheap to rent the coats for watching the sunrise.

Next came the panda hat, which with its ear flaps
would have been great in China.

The bear hat was great for Chicago...
...and then the sock monkey hat made its debut in the Windy City.

Next came the puppy hat...
...which was meant for a two year old, but it sort of grew on me.
This one is definitely for a child, it's way too fancy for me.