Sunday, April 29, 2012

Never on a Sunday, a Sunday, a Sunday

It was a beginner's mistake. A rookie error. Amateur hour. I should have known better. I've been doing this for years. I'm an old hand. But I got too cocky, too sure that the old standards could be questioned, new frontiers bridged with a bold decision.

I had a garage sale on a Sunday......................................That is the sound of no customers..........and more silence to follow..........it was a quiet day on a very busy street.

The difference between Sunday and Saturday for a garage sale is like the difference between a canoe and the Titanic, a chihuahua and Marmaduke, a single M&M and a slice of Oreo cheesecake. What happens in that brief 24-hour period is powerful stuff. The mere attempt to clean out the the garage on a Saturday will get passers-by to pull up and yell "Are you perhaps having a GARAGE SALE"? But a day later, that same stuff put out on the lawn just merits looks of contempt, "Look Bob, the peasants are trying to make fifty cents, how very sad. Keep driving so as not to get their little hopes up."

My friend Nina and I tried to have a sweet little sale today. She had beautiful prom type dresses and cute clothes to sell, I had my quilts. We also had some air filtering machines from her Dad and some wild shoes. It was a crazy busy street. Wow, hardy a soul. Not even for the free clothes. A homeless and toothless man on a bicycle actually stopped to ask if we had any khaki shirts with pockets. He was one fashion-conscious homeless dude he was. He was not interested in our box of free clothing.

One woman did stop to rave about my quilts, she called them show stoppers, she did. But that very morning she had loaned her son some money and was unable to purchase the quilt she was desiring, the Chicken Quilt for the Soul. Lousy no-good son of hers, how dare he take my purchase away!

The only positive that came from the day, besides the air cleaner machine we sold for Nina's dad and the few clothes she sold? I went through those free boxes that were leftovers from another garage sale and found a bunch of long jean skirts - a dream to cut up compared to real jeans. The worst part of the day? I missed a call to sub at work for real money. UGH, the Sunday that got away.