Friday, January 7, 2011

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

That was on my refrigerator for quite a while. So simple, but not easy when things get busy. Now with my hands having so much pain from osteoarthritis, it is even more important. Besides being vegan, apparently I am supposed to stay away from:
Nightshade plants (all the yummy Italian vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and potatoes)
Sugar
Chocolate
Coffee
Wheat
Nuts
Spinach
there is more, but those are the biggies. (Plus of course all meats, dairy and eggs, that is the easy part.)

So, what is left?
Fruit smoothies
Oatmeal with soy milk
Veggie salads
And we are back at smoothies for dessert!

I felt totally fabulous doing the raw food challenge for a month this summer, but then fall came and who wants smoothies on a cold morning? Not me. But who wants to have to take her wedding ring off at night because her hands swell in the night? Not me. So here I go again, will try to do 50% raw, see if that is good enough. With the days getting longer, maybe it won't feel quite so wintry and I'll be more in the mood for a fruit smoothie to start the day, and a salad for lunch and hamster food for dinner.