Monday, October 17, 2011

Think Before You Pink



Pepperidge Farm Cookies
Imperial Margarine
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Bars Dipped in Chocolate
Breyers Ice Cream
Hebrew National Beef Franks
Oscar Meyer Lunchables
Betty Crocker Frosting
Instant Velveeta Mac and Cheese
Three Musketeers Halloween Candy
Cocoa Pebbles

What do these products have in common? They are just a few of the hundreds of brands that are being featured this month in grocery stores in connection with National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Buy the food with the pink ribbon and the store will donate for breast cancer research. This is very similar to the campaign in one of the fast food places that went like this: Buy a gigantic sized amount of sugary soda, and they will donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Never mind the fact that consuming giant amounts of sugar laden soda is contributing to diabetes in juveniles.



soda for the cure

cocoa for the cure


chicken breasts for the cure

cookies for the cure

food for thought

This month, this is what I plan to do. Keep doing what I am doing, but just a bit better. My weak link at this point is exercise. I permanently damaged a nerve in my thigh in Zumba class (a truly freak happening, try Zumba, you will love it) and have not got in a groove since. I went to get my mammogram, which I am conflicted about the research on, but I would never forgive myself if I missed an early detection opportunity. We will continue to stay away from animal products, but I know that even vegans can be unhealthy. So more veggie chopping and healthy food making. The food stores are full of healthy choices as long as I hit the produce aisle, whole grain breads and (contrary to popular belief) the middle of the store in the aisles with beans, grains, rice, and frozen and canned real food.

This is what I won't be doing. I won't be eating from a bucket of deep fried chicken for the cure or slicing up cookies from a chubby little doughboy or eating Velveeta mac and cheese or drinking Pepsi or eating anything unhealthy tied with a pretty pink ribbon. Not everything is pretty in pink.