Friday, July 15, 2011

By George it's a Ripe Tomato!

July 15, 2011
Sacramento Valley
The Summer of Weird Weather







This year the elements were against me. Rain, hail, cold weather, we have had it all. But I have triumphed. I found a red tomato. At least it looked red in the garden, it actually is still a bit orange.

















And yes, it is a mere cherry tomato. But it is round, it is red enough, it contains lycopene, I am officially declaring that tomato season has arrived.








Last night we walked down to see the fireworks from opening night of the State Fair. I wore a t-shirt, jeans and flip flops. Usually the jeans are banished for the summer by now, but last night I was freezing. The delta breeze was cold and strong. I was driving around yesterday, windows up, AC not on. If this is the new norm, I am loving it.





I am waiting for some quilt material to arrive for a custom little baby blanket, but in the meantime I am itching to start this one. I found all this designer sample fabric at the little thrift store up the street. I don't think I can bring myself to cut up that big gorgeous piece, so maybe a tied quilt would be best, with the leaf fabric on the back. After sewing rag quilts, it stretches my brain to sew a quilt the traditional way. But I hear brain stretching and lycopene are a good combo.
waiting to become the Rafaela Quilt