Friday, November 4, 2011

Blankies at Work? Cat Burglars? An Update!

 


Graveyard shift, night shift or third shift (3rd shift) means a shift of work running through the early hours of the morning, especially shifts from midnight until 08:00 or from 23:00 until 07:00. There is no certainty as to the origin of this phrase; it is little more than "an evocative term for the night shift … when … your skin is clammy, there's sand behind your eyeballs, and the world is creepily silent, like the graveyard."

Here we go, my first official graveyard shift. I'm prepared for clammy skin, sandy eyes and silence. Add to that a bank of monitors watching the nighttime goings on at area high schools. I want my warm bed! I want my Mommy! Can I bring a blankie?

Update:

  **It was a dark and stormy night. Actually it wasn't exactly stormy, just dark. But it was night. A motion sensor went off in one of the Multi-Purpose rooms. Hmm, what could it be? Nothing on the cameras, but the alarm kept tripping. My co-worker left the room, and I was alone with the monitors. I saw it! I saw the cat burglar as clear as day, walking across the MP room. Actually it wasn't exactly a burglar, but it was a cat. As in meow, here Kitty Kitty. A cat, stuck in the MP room. So glad I didn't call the sheriff.**